C-section recovery tips



Before I had a C-section I naively believed that they were a soft option to labour. I looked at the glamorous mums in the glossy magazines, going in with a face full of make-up and not a strand of hair out of place, numb from the navel down while the surgeons slid their babies out of a neat little letter hole, and thought, that looks easy. How wrong I was.
Fast forward 6 hours to the agony of the painkillers wearing off, the morphine making you itch like a flea ridden cat and the tiny human screaming for attention next to you, and a Cesarean can seem much less fun.

I consider myself to be something of a C-section veteran (though mine were unplanned and both after at least a day of agony and futile hypnobirthing) but even I am astounded by the lack of information out there on C-section recovery.
Now I’m not going to patronise you with talk of ‘feet up and rest’ like some of the other helpful (or unhelpful) websites. I’m from the real world where aforementioned tiny human needs 24/7 care and does not equate to a quiet and restful life - sorry.

So in true modern parent style I’ve written a little list for anyone planning (or who has recently had) a Cesarean Section:

Be prepared for the ride home – Thought the walk from the hospital to the car was bad? Wait till you hit your first speed bump…
I took a pillow out with me for all car journeys in the weeks after my op and held it against my tummy. It helped to buffer the impact on bumpy roads and pot holes.

The baby won’t be the only one who needs winding – There is nothing quite as uncomfortable as the pain of trapped wind. I used to get it in the most random of places too – windy shoulder anyone? So you have two options here: Get in line behind your baba for a back rub, or stock up on Peppermint Tea, renowned for its wind relieving abilities.

Stairs are your enemy – In the days after a C-section you won’t be able to walk very far and climbing stairs hurts like hell. Try to bring down everything you need in the morning or (if you can get away with it) station yourself upstairs for a few days but try not to stay in bed – see my next point.

Get to walking — With my first C-section I picked up an infection and was stuck in a hospital bed for a week. With my second I was up and walking within hours and felt much better for it. Not only does staying mobile aid a quicker recovery but it can prevent blood clots too. N.B I’m not talking about strolls around the park (I tried this and failed) getting up and about around the house is more than enough in the beginning but always remember to rest if you feel fatigued.

Go at your own pace – C-section recovery isn’t a race and everyone’s body heals differently. My C-section recovery seemed to take forever and, impatient as I am, I made the mistake of trying to run before I could walk (literally). Long story short, I had to be sewn back together 9 weeks after my op and it delayed my recovery by a fortnight.

I hope this helps any C-section mums (or mums to be) out there. If you have any other post C-section tips, comment below or tweet me


If you liked this you might also like:







Comments

  1. Good morning, first greetings to you and all your visitors. Some time ago I visit your blog frequently and I find it very important and informative, I usually find a lot of interesting content and can help many people. Regarding article is very interesting and useful mention important aspects notes. I congratulate you for taking the time to write and convey your knowledge. Thank you....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words and thanks for reading my blog! Xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not so incy wincy...

Time to banish the mum pouch!

Fun filled day out on a budget.