Surviving a nursing (breastfeeding) strike.




A month before my son’s 1st birthday I was thinking about the dreaded return to work and wondered - with him starting nursery and us being apart for most of the day - if it was time to bring our breastfeeding journey to a close. I didn’t dream that my baby would take the decision out of my hands completely but he did. A few days later the little man staged a strike that struck our booby world apart with apocalyptic force.

As with all of the breastfeeding problems we’ve faced in the past, this one was down to teething. Usually when those pesky white buds are about to make an appearance I can’t get him to stop feeding (or biting) but this was different. I was faced with a baby who refused to feed. Every time I brought him to my breast or tried to feed him in any way he would clench his little jaw and pull back. The only liquids he accepted were tiny sips of milk or water from his cup.

Frantic, I had him checked over by a medical professional. When the nurse confirmed it was just his teeth I turned to Dr Google and quickly discovered that my baby was staging a nursing strike. According to the millions of articles I trawled through; a nursing strike differs from self-weaning because it’s sudden, an abrupt 'NO' as opposed to a gradual 'no booby thank you mummy'. Most babies don’t wean until around 18 months but the suggestion on some websites was that it might not be so easy to persuade a striking baby to feed again. Apparently this was the reason many mothers chose to wean their children early.

I must admit, I toyed with the idea of embracing the strike as a weaning opportunity. I had been considering it after all – and the idea of having a few glasses of wine without doing all the milky arithmetic was appealing - but it just didn’t feel right. I envisioned weaning as a gradual process, one we both felt ready for, but the suddenness of the strike, the angst from my baby and the pain in my boobs told me that this was all wrong and now was definitely not the time to stop breastfeeding.  So I went on the offensive, determined to put the smile on my baby's face. I took it back to basics with skin to skin, warm baths together and milk on the mouth but nothing worked. We were both miserable and I couldn’t leave the house because I was attached to the breast pump.

On the third day of the strike I resigned myself to fate, my baba did not want to feed and I was delusional for trying to carry on.  The websites said not to take it personally though, ha! I’d never felt so rejected in my life, booby was everything to my boy, a comfort, a drink, a teething ring and most of all a bond, something which tied the two of us together in our little milky bubble. That night I went to bed feeling heartbroken. I couldn’t even bring myself to have the wine that I was suddenly allowed to drink. I knew there and then I would have gone teetotal for another 10 years if it meant being able to feed my baby.

Miraculously the lil guy woke up the next morning looking for one thing, booby! To say that I was overjoyed is an understatement - I was cartwheeling around the house and haven’t stopped since.  All thoughts of weaning are out of the window too. I’m so happy to have my baby back, he can feed until he’s fifteen.

Just kidding!

If you have any nursing strike tips tweet me or comment below.

If you liked this you might also like:





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not so incy wincy...

Time to banish the mum pouch!

Fun filled day out on a budget.