To baby or not to baby that is the question...

(Picture: capl@washjeff.edu )

So prince William has been telling some excited fans in Singapore about his baby plans for the future. 
William wants to have two little ones running around in the - probably near - future. 
Kate is a prime example of the 'put it off  generation'  rather than rushing into motherhood in her twenties she waited. Now that she's 30 and married with her own home and a very successful career, the Royal couple are considering starting a family.  

A recent report in Red magazine has revealed that women are putting off motherhood until later in life. In a poll of 3,00 women between the ages of 28-45  36% weren't sure if they wanted to start a family. Most women I know have put off having babies for a variety of reasons. Some are struggling to get onto the property ladder in the current climate and as a result are living with their parents well into their 30's. Others have their eyes focused so firmly on the career ball that it comes as a considerable shock when they blow out their 40 birthday candles sans child. Then there's the serial singletons who haven't found the perfect partner yet and are holding out until they do. 

My son was born when I was 19 years old, he is the single greatest and most precious gift in my life and every day has been a blessing since his birth. I don't think it matters what age you have a child and it's every woman's choice if they want to have one at all. A child doesn't prevent a woman from being successful, owning a home or having money. If anything our children motivate us to do better and achieve more. 

The sad part is that when the women who have held off their biological clock do decide to have a child they might find it a little more difficult. A woman's fertility peaks in her late teens to mid twenties and drops considerably after the age of 35. 

I have to admit that since having my son I've become a member of the put it off gang myself. Although my partner and I are a lot more financially secure and ready for another baby - have been for a few years - I continue to think of a new reason every month why we shouldn't try for our second child. 

A lot of the joy in parenting comes from the spontaneity, the excitement and the adventure. 
Maybe we should stop waiting for the perfect moment,  bite the bullet and take a leap into the unknown... 

O.K. I have to be honest, I won't be leaping into the unknown any time soon, I have a wedding dress to fit into next year! But after that I'm leaping... honest. 

If you liked this, you might also like:










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not so incy wincy...

Time to banish the mum pouch!

Fun filled day out on a budget.