Finding the faith in time for September.



Last Sunday I Shunned my usual morning routine of a long run and a big breakfast. Instead, I ushered my little flock, freshly groomed to within an inch of their lives, in to the pews of our local church.
An epiphany! I hear you cry. Well, sort of…
It was not divine intervention but (whisper it) desperate intention which led us into the open arms of the lord. The truth, I confess, is that we were there for our son.
With the nearly 9 year old’s senior school application is looming ever nearer I spent an afternoon reading Ofsted reports for the local secondary schools in my area. I came away feeling desperate.

Unlike their primary school counterparts, when it comes to non-faith secondary schools the outlook is bleak. I read reports for my 5 nearest non-faith schools, two are in special measures and the rest require improvement. Horrified, I turned my attention to faith schools whose reports couldn’t be more different. All of my local C of E and Catholic Schools scored good with outstanding elements, these schools have strong leadership and pupils who feel challenged and supported enough to go on to smash national averages come GCSE time. When it comes to secondary school attainment, faith schools are head and shoulders above the rest.

My husband and I had a huge decision ahead of us. Do we stick to our guns and allow our son to choose his own faith, assuming he wants one. Or, do we befriend the man upstairs to better our school application.  We chose the latter.
If the truth be told our little boy isn’t the cleverest in the classroom, he isn’t the worst either. He sits somewhere in the middle. That dreaded grey area so often overlooked by overburdened teachers with overfull classrooms. He needs that extra bit of support to keep his grades up and there’s a real danger he could get lost in a school struggling to manage the behaviour of its students, like our nearest academy. So, we are doing what any loving parent would do. We’re trying to get the best outcome for our child.

My question is should this be the only way? Aside from paying for a private education (and re-mortgaging our house in the process) a letter ‘from God’ seems to be the only way in to any of the good schools.  Would it not be fairer to introduce a system which requires all schools to achieve a good or above Ofsted grading or face closure. That way, faith or no faith, every child is guaranteed a first class education.


We are one of the richest countries in the world. We should have an education system which reflects this.  

If you liked this you might also like:







failing secondary schools, faith school entry, faith vs non faith divide, finding the faith,

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not so incy wincy...

Time to banish the mum pouch!

Fun filled day out on a budget.