RIP Shay Shay Bombay




So, it's been seven days now and the wounds have almost healed. Well, enough for me to finally talk about it...

Last Sunday, after a wonderful family afternoon at nanny's house. We returned home to a scene of horror. Our beloved hamster, Shay Shay Bombay, was dead! Not only was she dead but, she had died in a most spectacular way. Shay Shay had come over all dramatic and dragged her little hamster house to the ground floor of her tiny metal condo. She then removed the roof of the little house and sprawled out on the upturned roof to die.

Since we had all bustled into the little man's room together. It would have been impossible to hide it from him and, as I try to be as honest a parent as possible, I wouldn't have wanted to lie.
However, I wish we'd had a little more time to prepare ourselves. I was actually crying when I broke the news about our fluffy friend who wasn't, as she appeared, sleeping. Even Daddy was choked up!

Shay Shay had been  the worlds best hamster. I was never a lover of those tiny balls of fluff. But, Shay Shay and I clicked from the moment we met. She loved to let me stroke and hold her and, we had a cute little trick were I would open the cage and she would run straight onto my hand...
Anyway, the little man took the news well enough and was quite excited to plan her 'life celebration and burial' he even wrote her a sweet letter too.

Shay Shay Bombay was laid to rest in an intimate ceremony under a lovely tree at the back of nanny's garden. A few words were said by those closest to her and plans are now in place to erect a headstone designed by the little dude.

Thankfully, the little man has bounced back.  He's telling his 'my hamster died' story at every opportunity. So far he's earned a toy from the dentist and a sweater full of stickers from his teacher.

As for us; we've decided to stick with just one pet, our cat. She has a longer life expectancy and is more likely to give us a warning before she pops her clogs!


If you liked this you might also like:

The 12A maze

Competitive mummying

Dumped!

Liar liar your bums on fire

Smelly cat - a social injustice

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not so incy wincy...

Fun filled day out on a budget.

Time to banish the mum pouch!