Here's to the real sporting heroes.


                              

A few weeks ago I read that Lance Armstrong would (again) be fighting off fresh doping allegations. "Can't they leave that poor man alone" I said to my partner "why is it that whenever anybody achieves something amazing in this world, there's a rush to discredit them or bring them down." Although I was upset at the allegations, there was no doubt in my mind that Lance would come out on top.
You see Lance was part of something, not only was he the greatest cyclist ever, he was on my list!
My list of wonderful and inspirational people, sporting heroes, civil rights activists,even  politicians! People who have beaten the odds to achieve their goals or change society for the better.
The 'you can do anything' list will be my go to when my son is older and (as we all do) loses hope or doesn't believe in himself. If this happens I always imagined myself pulling out the 'you can do anything' list and motivating my son with Lance's story.
The man who beat cancer and went on to win the tour de france seven times in a row, he would have been top of my list.
That was until Thursday, when Lance bowed out. He chose not to fight the charges against him and as a result has lost all of his titles and the chance to compete professionally ever again.
I couldn't believe it, how could this happen. I wanted Lance to fight for his legacy and prove once and for all that dedication, determination and motivation will always win.
Sadly that was not the case and I despaired, would I ever find somebody to match Lance on the inspiration scale.
Thanks to the Paralympics I haven't had to look far...
Nick Beighton

(Photograph: Intersport images/GB rowing team)

Nick Beighton is a hero, plain and simple. Not only did he serve as a captain in Afghanistan, but after he lost his legs and almost died in the line of duty, he fought on.

Nick participated in sports as part of his recovery and it was soon clear that he had a talent for rowing. Nick won a bronze medal in 2011 at the  Rowing World Cup in  Munich.

He will be rowing for team GB in the Paralympic games which open tomorrow.

Nick is the new leader of my 'you can do anything' list and I will be telling my son all about his amazing story while we cheer him on this Friday.

Good luck Nick!



For more information about the British rowing team go to www.gbrowingteam.org.uk) and also British Rowing’s get involved page (http://www.britishrowing.org/paralympics#have-a-go).

Related Articles on other sites:



If you liked this you might also like:

Inspire a generation...mission complete

Anything is possible

School's outdated this summer

Making new friends at school

And an interesting blog on another site:

what should a nanny do if her boss is upset with her










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not so incy wincy...

Time to banish the mum pouch!

Fun filled day out on a budget.